Journal Entry: 7/26/17
- Inspector Bask Bumblethorpe, Gnome Wizard: Jacob
- Vordaar, Dragonborn Paladin: Ryan
- Wellby, Halfling Sorcerer: Scott
- Algernon, Drow Ranger: Jon
- Rolen, Wood Elf Ranger: Kevin
Events as recounted by The Inspector. If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free. Also, bolding has been added to notate possible avenues to explore in the future. EDITOR’S NOTE: I had to step out of this session a bunch of times for stupid work, so I might have missed a few things. Please feel free to add in whatever I’ve missed!
While at camp, a few exciting things happen. First, Symic, our Gnomish ex-slave friend from Glasswater, apparently got into a little tiff with one of the guards. The guard, Garen, rude as hell, yelled at Symic because the Gnome was obviously suffering from some PTSD and was being a little crazy. So Symic lit his hair on fire. Ten Bevel had Symic chained up and was all piss and vinegar about it, but we were able to persuade him to let him go and cool off, and all parties agreed that we should ensure that this doesn’t happen again.
Tralian, the scout, and his apprentice, Zarak, report back to camp as well. They found a couple roads from Hecary that they started clearing. They also were near the swamp and heard a bunch of voices chanting in Draconic, and it sounded kinda insane. They went to check it out, and saw someone else observing the ritual as well, and taking notes with a quill and ink. The more we compared notes, we came to realize that the Observer looked like the same dude as the one we saw on our ship. Interesting. Still think these snake people are worth checking out. Maybe they’re bad guys, maybe not, but they seem like our closest neighbors right now, so we should at least try to learn more about them.
Lastly, Zila, Mokishavo’s friend that helped lead us to Hecary, showed up at camp, dirty, wounded, and out of breath. She said that their holy city of Bronzeport is under attack, with almost everyone dead, and the elders on the run. She requests our aid in reclaiming the city and driving off the bad guys. The invaders are wearing the colors of Forsyn, Gray and White, and there are undead, goblinoids (hobgoblins, goblins, and bugbears), as well as a tough looking monk and a necromancer. We decide that, though we have a lot of things we want to explore, we should head to Bronzeport post-haste.
We head off North towards Bronzeport, with Zila leading the way. Once we hit the river, we follow that. The first night is uneventful, and as we set out on the second day, at one point we hear super heavy footfalls in the distance, but they fade away. We can tell it’s a large animal, but don’t know what it is. Make camp for the second night, and in the middle of the night, while Rolen is on watch, those heavy footfalls come back. Rolen wakes us just in time to see a huge Wooly Mammoth with four gigantic tusks start charging us. He tramples Vordaar, who goes down, but we get him back up and wreck the thing. Vordaar harvests the tusks, then decides to cut it open, and we find a Worg and a Goblin in its belly. All of a sudden, they both rise up looking like they’re coming back as undead, but we put ‘em down with a couple well placed boots and some sniping from Algernon and Rolen.
We go back to sleep, and the next morning, when we wake up, we find that the mists that have permeated the air for days were gone and we could see clear to the mountains a great distance off. We keep heading towards Bronzeport, and towards the end of the third day, we see a sign that says, “BRONZEPORT: CONDEMNED.” Algernon, Rolen, and Zila all decide to sneak up towards the city, along with my Raven familiar. They spread out as they move forward, but all of a sudden Zila lets out a cry, so we all charge in to meet her. She’s facing off against a Goblin riding a Worg and two smaller wolves. Vordaar runs up to tank the fools, and with a well-placed sleep spell from myself, some artillery fire from Wellby, and our two sniping Rangers, we make quick work of them all. A bugbear shows up and tries to jump Rolen, but we end up being able to take him down before he can raise the alarm as well. We manage to keep the goblin alive, and take him back to the sign (where his screams can’t be heard), and interrogate him. He tells us that the troops from Forsyn are looking for something, and have virtually levelled the town doing so, but haven’t yet found it. He also again confirms that there are other goblinoids, undead, and a monk and a necromancer in town. We leave him tied to the sign.
We head up towards the gates of Bronzeport (EDITOR’S NOTE: at this point, it takes us forever to decide how to breach the town). Bronzeport is kind of built down in a canyon. The walls are all up on cliifs above the city. The city itself stretches down towards a cenote, an underground cavernous lake. A river runs from the west into the city, down a waterfall, and feeds the lake. It looks like the lake has slowly risen, to claim the shores and buildings of the city, as part of it is all underwater.
Rolen decides to go scout along the west wall, and my raven goes with him. As he heads over, he notices another raven that seems to be following him. He finds the West Entrance to the city, that stands by the waterfall. He also sees some stable-like structure with cages, one of which is holding Mokishavo, others seem to be piled with corpses of zombies. He talks to Moki briefly, and tells him that we’ve come to free him, and we’ll get the key and come back. We deduce that the raven was the familiar of the wizard, and saw Rolen, so we think the necromancer will be coming. Rolen heads back to get the rest of us. At the same time, Algernon, goes over to the overhang above the cenote and sees the elders hanging out in boats in the lake. He drops a rope and climbs down to them, but is not necessarily greeted warmly. One of the elders casts Hold Person on him and he drops into the boat. They ask him “who gave you permission to come onto our holy lake?” He tells them they need to cool it, and we’re here to rescue them. He then rows the boat over to the Northern wall with them where they bamf up to the surface, and head towards the western entrance to join the rest of us.
We see the wizard heading over to the Western Entrance, presumably to investigate where he saw Rolen. We all (minus Algernon) book over there to try to take him by surprise while he’s alone, and end up murdering the hell out of him without him being able to get a spell off. On his person we find a note that tasks him with recovering some artifacts in Bronzeport, recovering the bones of one of the twin children of Vasho, and eliminating the Godseed (we still don’t know who that is. Is it us? Is it the children of Vasho?). It also says that with him is a monk named Wynn of the Secret Hand, who sounds super tough, and must be the monk that’s also here. Also, the wizard’s raven tries to fly off, cawing an alarm, but Rolen put a fucking arrow through his eyes from like 100 feet off. Killer shot, rookie.
So, we’re now faced with a town with a bunch of undead and gobs and a monk, and aren’t sure how to proceed. I decide to try out one of those crazy Gloves that we got back in Hecary, the Glove of Zombie Control, to try to get all the undead to come to us so we can kill them. It’s crazy, and it ages me a year, and it doesn’t really work. The undead start coming towards us, but get distracted by something alive in a tower in town. They’re all just sitting there, trying to get into the tower, include the animated bones of a small dragon, roughly the size of a horse. So, once Algernon joins us with the two elders Rusho and Trappel, we head down to ambush the distracted undead. We manage to take them all down without too much trouble, and decide to head into the tower to investigate what’s alive in there.
The tower looks like an old library of some sort, but it’s been mostly looted. We recall seeing the remains of a large bonfire outside, and realize that almost all of the books have been burned. A travesty. We do find two little clippings on the floor that look to be out of a religious text of some sort, one from the book of Dvusho and one from the book of Darius (attached). We hear what sounds like goblins hiding in between some bookshelves, so Vordaar runs up and slams into the shelves, knocking them over and crushing the gobs. Awesome. One was trying to get away and was only half crushed, and is squirming with his legs caught. I walk over, look him in the eyes, and slowly step on his throat. I fucking hate goblins. With them gone, we know that there’s at least one hobgoblin and the monk left in the town, and we think they’re upstairs. I send my rave up the stairs, and as soon as he clears the floor, an arrow slams into him and he’s destroyed. RIP.
So, with caution, we all head up the stairs and search the place, but find it completely abandoned. Algernon manages to spot some tracks in the dust though, that we follow up to the third floor, which is mostly crumbled and open to the sky. There, the tracks jump off and land on the ground, and head south. The monk must have knew we were coming and left. I sound my horn, and shout out a challenge, but am greeted only with silence. As we descend, all of a sudden we hear a horn blown in response to mine, and from what we can tell, it’s coming from the Monastery in the southwest of town.
However, at this point, it’s really late in real life, and we have to call it a night, leaving Wynn of the Secret Hand and at least one hobgoblin holed up in the Monastery of Bronzeport, and our last barrier to the liberation of Bronzeport. (Again, if anyone remembers anything that I missed, or if I left out any dope shit, feel free to respond!)
[END OF SESSION]
NEW LORE THAT WE’VE LEARNED:
- The elders in Bronzeport worship a new dragon named Frossay. They’ve never seen or met her, but she says she’s a dragon so they worship her. She says she’s the kin of Vasho. However, when they started worshipping her, the cenote became very cold, and now has chunks of ice in it.
- Vasho had four children. The oldest is Dvusho, then Sriko, then two twins, Klevo & Eylo. The twins’ eggs hatches after the death of Vasho. One of the twins, Klevo was killed, and it’s rumored it was killed by Darius. The bones of Klevo were the undead wyrmling that we just killed. We should probably collect them and inter them somewhere with honor?
- Dvusho considers himself an observer of Oscos, and loves to run around in humanoid and other forms just being around the people, per the scraps of religious text we found. We think that he was the one that was observing the snake-people and was on our boat as well.
- At this point we think that we are the Godseed, but we aren’t sure what that means, or if there’s some lore or prophecy that says something about this. Should we ask the elders?
NEXT STEPS (new developments on old notes in red):
- Bronzeport has been, like, mostly liberated, but we had to leave. There’s still at least a Monk there, named Wynn of the Secret Hand, with a bugbear friend, possibly more.
- What artifacts were the Forsynians looking for here in Bronzeport?
- Should we do something with the wyrmling bones?
- We should try to grill the elders about the history of the land, and see if there’s any lore about the Godseed, hopefully we can find out why we’ve been brought here?
- What’s up with that dust cloud / earthquake that came from the north? Worth investigating?
- Do Angus and Taethan know the missing dragon brood? What is the full story with that? Was the dude we saw on a boat a dragon? Is the baby brother dragon still missing? Is one of the dragons missing a leg?
- For what it’s worth, we have coke that give us hallucinations and really deep advice. We think it might be fun to do a bunch of it and see what kind of crazy visions we all have, but we decide that we don’t have the time to do it now, since we were trying to liberate Bronzeport.
- What’s the story with these statues? The one at Glasswater looked odd, but we didn’t take a closer look. There was one at Bronzeport as well, but we didn’t spend the time to study it. I think it had both an open hand and a hand holding a sword (pommel extended) both pointing towards the city). There’s a pattern to these for sure. We’ve now seen 3, I believe. One in the woods by Shore’s Rest, one in GW, and one in BP.
- There’s some huge Anacondas in the swamp, but also people that feel their pain or something? Requires further investigation. UPDATE: Apparently, they were doing a Ritual of some sort, and were being observed by someone hidden, same dude as we saw on the boat, is this Dvusho? These guys are def still worth investigating.
- There’s some crazy beast in the woods nearby Shore’s Rest, with wings and a lion’s head or something. Griffon?
- We have deeds to some homes in Forsyn, but that might be the center of power of a shitty government that uses zombie slaves.
WHAT’S NEXT, BOYS?
- Map of Bronzeport, both from above and within the cenote.
- Necromancer’s note.
- Passage from the book of Darius
- Passage from the book of Dvusho